What is Recovery like after Kybella Treatments?
Excess fat under the chin, commonly called a double chin, can be a problem even if you aren’t overweight. That extra pad of fat can be very hard to lose. Fortunately, an FDA approved, non-surgical treatment is now available that reduces chin and neck fat called Kybella®. It’s an office treatment that gradually reduces fat under the chin without surgery.
What Is Kybella?
Kybella treatment can only be given by a Kybella-trained healthcare specialist. Over a series of office visits, you’ll receive multiple small injections under your chin. Each session takes about 20 minutes. The number of injections you’ll require depends on the amount of fat you have under your chin and what results you’d like to achieve.
How Does Kybella Work?
Kybella’s active ingredient is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a molecule that occurs naturally in your body that helps breakdown and absorb fat. Once it’s injected into the fat under your chin, Kybella breaks up the fat cells. The fat is then released into your body, where it is metabolized over time.
The result is a natural, visible reduction in fullness under the chin. Kybella results aren’t temporary because it actually destroys the fat cells. Once these fat cells are destroyed, they can’t store or buildup fat, so further treatment is not likely once you’ve reached your desired chin profile.
What Are the Side Effects of Kybella Treatment and How Long Do They Last?
Kybella treatment sessions are quick and painless, and there is little to no recovery time. There are some people who experience swelling after treatment. This is common and only lasts for a short period of time. You may also have some bruising or numbness under your chin. Your healthcare provider may recommend you take over-the-counter ibuprofen or acetaminophen to manage any discomfort. Talk to your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Only trust a plastic surgeon with the expertise and knowledge of the facial anatomy to deliver the best results and to avoid complications.
Recovery After Kybella Treatments
Your recovery period should last about several days after you have Kybella injections. The injection site will gradually tighten up over several weeks.
- It’s likely the treated area will look worse before it looks better; this is normal. Chin and/or neck swelling usually subsides back to pre-treatment fullness in approximately one week, then continues to improve.
- The initial swelling or bruising may be more noticeable to you than it is to others.
- You can return to work and other daily activities right after a treatment session, but many choose to rest the same day.
- There are no limitations you need to follow. You can get the chin and neck areas wet and wash them. Men can shave. Since the treated area may be a bit sore at the beginning, treat it gently.
- Exercise can be resumed the same day, but wait a day if you can.
- Don’t massage the treatment area afterwards. Touching the treatment area can lead to more swelling. Leaving the area alone ensures a speedy recovery.
If you are interested in Kybella treatment to remove under chin fat and restore a youthful, slim look to your face, contact us today for a consultation with New York Center for Aesthetic Rejuvenation in New York City. Our specialists are highly experienced in facial rejuvenation treatments and are dedicated to helping you look and feel your best. Fill out the form on this page to request an appointment or call 718.301.5955 to learn more.